Friday, February 12, 2010

Starve a Cold and Feed a Fever, But What About an Ankle Replacement?

Chicken Cacciatore

A good friend's dad had an ankle replacement, so of course I was compelled to cook. I don't know why I am the way I am but if someone is sick, has surgery or dies I feel a tug telling me to cook. Perhaps it is etiquette, maybe my mom instilled this behavior in me growing up or maybe its all I know to do. My friend has said on numerous occasions, "Food is Love" and I believe there is some truth to that. As a mother, when your child eats you feel good inside, when you entertain and people enjoy what you served it is selfishly rewarding. Perhaps I do it selfishly.....wow a means to an end. HHHmmmm, I'll have to ponder that one.

Anyhow..........this morning the thermometer read -4, chilly; so I'm thinking comfort food would be good. I've decided that Chicken Cacciatore with rice instead of pasta would be a comforting dish and I'll make it a little spicy to warm him up on the inside.

3 Large Peppers (I like to use assorted colors)

1 Whole Chicken or 6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts

Flour, Garlic Powder, Salt, Pepper, Oregano

1 Egg

Milk

6 Garlic Cloves

1 good size onion

42 oz Whole Tomatoes

1/2 Lemon sliced paper thin

3 anchovy fillets

1 T capers

1 t red pepper flakes (use less if you do not like spicy)

1/2 bunch fresh basil

1 Cup white white (Dry)

  1. Take Chicken, (Whole cut up or breasts butterflied) and dredge in flour, egg wash and flour again. For this recipe I measured 2 Cups flour, lots of salt and Pepper, 2T garlic powder and 1 T dried oregano. Egg wash was 1 egg and 1.5 Cups milk mixed together. Set aside.
  2. Take 3 peppers and prepare by charring on gas stove top or broiling. Once charred let sit in paper bag a while, once cooled peel and chop into 1" pieces.
  3. In large saute pan, pour 2 T or so of olive oil and add 1 whole onion sliced thin, 6 garlic cloves quartered and saute for approx 5 minutes.
  4. Add tomatoes, (I use who tomatoes and chop them) red pepper flakes, lemon slices, basil, Capers and Anchovies (I know you want to skip these but don't, they melt and you will never know they are there. Trust me, I hate them and it isn't the same without them)
  5. Add Wine
  6. Saute for 20-30 minutes.
  7. Brown the chicken pieces on both sides, do this in batches so pan isn't crowded.
  8. Add pieces as they are browned
  9. Turn to low and saute for 20-30 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment