Sunday, January 31, 2010

Oatmeal Chocolate Cookies with Pecans

I am still working on cleaning out the pantry after the holidays, I found myself with 1/2 bag pecans, some dark chocolate chunks and a canister of oatmeal. I initially was going to make some bar cookies, but per the request of my youngest child we determined cookies were were the better choice. Since I mentioned bar cookies, I thought I'd add a little commentary regarding them. I've always been under the impression bar cookies were for the lazy baker who didn't want to take time to rotate their dough every 8-10 minutes, I now am older and wiser and realize bar cookies often take longer to make and can be every bit as delicious. I make a wonderful chocolate raspberry crumb bar and it was my intent to make them today, but I was missing 2 ingredients. I'll share that recipe at a later date. Anyhow....back to the treat of the day. (Quantity of pecans and chocolate were based on leftovers, modify to suit your taste)

2 Cups flour
1/2 t salt
1 t baking powder
1 t baking soda
1 t Cinnamon
2 sticks unsalted butter at room temperature
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 cup sugar
1 T, yes a T of vanilla
3 T water
3 cups oatmeal
8 oz dark chocolate, chopped
1 cup chopped pecans

  1. Mix Flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda and set aside

  2. Combine butter and sugars and then add vanilla, water and eggs (1 at a time)

  3. Add ingredients from step #1

  4. By hand mix in oats, chocolate and pecans

  5. refrigerate for 2+ hours

  6. Shape into 11.5 inch balls

  7. Bake on parchment paper for 12-14 minutes

This recipe makes a lot of dough so I am going to freeze and bake more at a later date

No comments:

Post a Comment